Its just doesn't sit well to have a bowl of hot Greek Lemon Soup with Chicken Meatballs in summer, Gazpacho is okay but hot soup broth???
Surprisingly, the start of summer in Perth had been mild. I could still feel the chill in the morning air as the sun was just about to rise.
It was a magical moment at this time of day... Sun rises at 5 am, the neighbourhood was still in slumberland, total quietness apart from the birds singing their morning songs.
Before the weather gets too hot, plus my 'Lazy' mode indicator was blinking... one pot meal would be the perfect solution.
Flipping pages of my One pot Meal Wonders cookbook, I found this recipe. Looks do-able.
And I am certainly intrigue by the egg-lemon and cream combination in a pot.
The challenge is to have a smooth thick soup, not a curdle Greek soup!!! As we all know that lemon and dairy, can spell 'Disaster' :D
This Greek Lemon Soup turned out to be good with no disaster at all!
One thing that I had to quickly 'fixed' was the chicken mince.
Once thawed, unfortunately, this packet of mince chicken had a lot of water than it should, that makes the mince, soft and 'mushy' unable to hold its ball-shape well. Boo-hoo :(.
With 2 slices of bread, processed to crumbs, added to the mince, season with salt and pepper. Pre-cook before adding to soup.
Even though, a bowl of the soup is a complete meal with carbo, protein and veg all in one, but I still serve them with bread.
We love our carb ;P
Greek Lemon Soup with Chicken Meatballs
prep time: 25 MINScook time: 30 MINStotal time: 55 mins
Known as Avgolemono, is a creamy lemony Greek soup. Soup made with egg yolk and lemon juice mixed with broth, heated until they thicken.
- 500g mince chicken
- 1 small handful parsley (i used curly parsley)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bread to make breadcrumbs.
- 250ml cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 400g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm dices
- 1.5L stock from meatball
- 400g tin white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 125ml lemon juice
- 1 small handful flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and mix well
- Roll tablespoons of the mixture into small balls
- Bring 1.5L water to boil
- Cook meatballs (until it floats)
- Use the boiling water as stock
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and egg yolks and then set aside
- Put the celery and potatoes in a large heavy based saucepan
- Pour in the stock and bring to boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potato is tender
- Stir in the beans and diced zucchini.
- Bring the soup back to the boil and add the meatballs
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove the soup from the heat, then carefully stir in the egg mixture through
- Return the soup to low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly
- The soup will thicken slightly as the eggs cook, but do not allow the mixture to get too hot or the eggs will curdle
- Quickly stir in the lemon rind and lemon juice sprinkle with the parsley and serve
Lisa's Lemony Kitchen
Created using The Recipes Generator