Last weekend, H and I spent our Sunday... just the two of us...
We were neither
having a romantic dinner over candlelights nor
walking hand in hand along the beach, watching the sun set nor
on a secret holiday getaway...
hmmm... it would be nice...
We spent 4 hours sitting (well I sat and H was sort of mid-way sitting and lying in bed).. and waiting in the Emergency Room at the hospital nearby, waiting for the doctor ....
H had a minor 'freak' accident at home... he had a deep gashed on his forehead, and the 'culprit' was the door latch (the part that goes into the door strike). So be mindful of the danger lurking in your household... the door latch may look harmless... it was nothing but...
After 4 hours and 6 sutures later, he was on the mend... joked that he was 1 inch shy of having Harry Porter's trade mark scar... sheeesh!!!! that man could still joke despite the pain... must be the anaethestic
Since there is one 'sick' person in the house plus the weather was getting cold and colder everyday... Its just appropriate to introduce soup into our menu....
Barley and 4 types of mushroom soup it is. Of course my two beloved teens were pulling faces looking into the pot... they are both HUGE fan of mushrooms (NOT!!)... its difficult to get them to eat one type of mushroom, and now its FOUR... pengsan!!! (faint)...
Its back to see the doctor again today, to take out the stitches.
Perhaps mushroom soup on the dining table again!!! (kids will definitely *faint*)
Last but not least.. to all our 'Well Wishers ... we say 'Thank you'...
Mushrooms and Barley Soup Recipeserve 6-8(adapted n 'tweaked' from Maggie Beer and Simon Bryant)
1/4 cup of Pearl Barley
20g dried Porcini mushrooms - soaked overnight
200g button mushrooms
200g Swiss Mushrooms
5 dried Shiitake mushrooms
1 large brown onion - chopped
2 garlics - chopped
2 sprigs of Rosemary
5 sprigs of Thyme
2 tablespoon of Mirin
1 cube vegetable stock
4 cups of water
salt and pepper
EVOO infused with Chilli
- Cook barley with 3 cups of water for 1 hour then drained.
- Squeezed the water out of porcini mushroom. Reserved the soaking water.
- In a medium size stockpot, melt the butter and saute onion till translucent, add garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add porcini, barley, stock, water, mirin and porcini reserved soaking water into the stockpot. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add shitake mushroom, bring to boil n simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add remaining of chopped mushrooms.
- Season to taste.
- Reserved about 4 tablespoon of the mushrooms and barley, and blitz the remaining barley and mushrooms in the food processor until smooth.
- Serve in individual bowls and topped up with chunky mushrooms/ barley.
- Drizzle with EVOO infused with Chilli if desired
Chopped all 4 mushrooms.