Food from Turkey.
Do you know where to get the best Gozleme in Perth?... read on... for the best Gozleme, I've had so far... at the end of this post and if you know of any, do drop me a line...
I had my first bite, my first taste of Gozleme, eight years ago, at this particular Kebab shop near my place...
I would definitely order one whenever I happened to be in that shopping centre around lunch time... unfortunately the quality soon dwindle... Their Gozleme may have the look and shape ... but lacked of flavours, the filling was barely there... all I could taste was just the golden brown cooked dough with a tangy sourish taste of lemon...
H tasted that flat Gozleme... 'and never again would I want to eat that piece of crap again...', H lamented.
Gozleme has become "the bad word" in his food-vocabulary... he wasn't interested...not even when I said 'I'll make some...' ...... He was so not in favour ...
My quest for a good Gozleme did not just die there... I have tried Gozlemes in many 'Kebab' shops... around Perth Northern, I have tried the one in Fremantle E-shed...
Most of the Gozlemes I tasted, couldn't match the one 8 years ago... I nearly gave up, thinking that perhaps that good Gozleme can only be achieved at home...still need to coax and convince that someone ...who I shall not mention here... again
All was not lost... I finally found the best Gozleme ... hers was the best! Judging by the long queue during lunch crowd, I wouldn't be far off if I'd say that... its the Real Deal...and surprisingly H agrees!!!...generous with the filling and quite sizeable too...
If you are in Perth... do try out this Turkish treat in Harbour Town (opposite Lorna Jane)...
This is my version of Gozleme...superb for BBQ get together.
Wishing everyone who is celebrating…
have a happy wonderful
Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Adha…
Recipe (make about 12 pieces)
(adapted with changes AWW)
Click here to print
600g plain flour
1 teaspoon cooking salt
410ml warm water
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
500g chicken thigh - mince or chopped
2 tablespoon cumin - grounded
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 clove garlic - crushed
1/2 cup parsley - chopped
salt and pepper
Spinach and Feta filling
150g spinach roughly chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint
200g reduced fat feta cheese
1 cup mozarella cheese
1 cup of tasty cheese
- Mix all the ingredients and knead into a smooth dough
- Set aside and cover with damp cloth
- Let the dough rest.
- Heat up the saute pan with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Saute the garlic and spices until fragrant
- Add chicken and stir and simmer until the chicken is cooked and liquid evaporate.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Stir in parsley
- Set aside to cool
- In another bowl, mix spinach, feta and mint.
- Divide the dough into 12
- Roll to 15cm by 15cm (approximately). Let the dough rest for 5 minutes ....if the dough seems a little bit elastic...
- Divide the filling...and
- Spoon the chicken filling and fill up about half of the rolled dough (using imaginary line...fill up 7.5cm by 15 cm)
- top up with spinach and feta mix
- Add about 1 dinner spoon of tasty cheese
- Add 1 dinner spoon of mozzarella cheese
- Carefully and gently fold the dough and crimp the edges.
- Heat up the flat plate on the barbeque or skillet
- Drizzle some oil
- Place and cook the gozleme until it turn golden in colour.
- Flip over
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges