I soon noticed that bitter gourd (bitter melon) plant is slowly wilting, turning brown. Only tiny little melons hanging by the thread, refusing to grow. My one and only chilli plant is almost barren. Lemons starts to turn colour into gorgeous yellow. My little herby Thai basil plant, slowly retreating...
Its time to tidy up and let the ground rest....
The temperature has started to dip...
I am surrounded by many shades of yellow, brown.... in every direction I look.
Perth has always been brown (especially in hot summer months) and crisp ;P.
Do you have that 'feeling', that once temperature starts to dip, your cravings for pumpkin starts to kick in?
I swear... my mind had been 'Pumpkin' programmed and it automatically switched on as mercury starts to dip ;P.
Then I longed for something savoury, hot and spicy! Followed by anything soup-y :D
Put all that cravings together... you'll ended up with awesome bowl of goodness!
One bowl kills many cravings ;P
Noodle with Creamy Pumpkin Soup
500g butternut pumpkin (diced)
50g dried shrimps
170g red onion
15g fresh red chillies
5 pcs dried chillies
1/2 teaspoon belacan/ shrimp granules
250ml coconut cream
300 ml chicken stock
500 ml water (or chicken stock)
2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
80g basil leaves (reserve some for garnishing)
500g fresh yellow noodle ( I used cooked Hokkien noodle)
1 cooked chicken breast - shred
thai basil leaves
- Peel and cut pumpkin into 1 cm size cube
- Squeeze lime juice and mix well, let it stand for 20 minutes
- in a food processor, combine dried shrimps, red onion, lemongrass, fresh chillies, dried chillies, shrimp granules, add a little water and blend into a smooth paste.
- in a medium size pot, Stir in the paste, chicken stock and water to boil, then reduce heat.
- Add pumpkin, fish sauce, sugar and pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes until pumpkin is tender.
- Add coconut cream and bring it to 'just' boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in fresh thai basil.
- Serve with noodle and garnishings.
Note : Serves 4