I can't help but to mention again and again... on how good Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice (BBA) book is... and I am sure that I have said this more than once that~ this is the best Bread book I have come across. My kids often ask for his 'pizza dough'... not my lazy way of using Lebanese Bread as pizza base!!! and Miss E has mentioned once or twice that it has been a long time since she tasted homemade baguette using Peter's recipe... soon my dear... I am planning to make one soon...
This is another marvellous bread recipe from Peter's BBA... Marbled Rye Bread... and my second attempt.
My first Marbled Rye was a disaster... I could not pin point the exact mistakes... but I could think of a few factor that may contribute to my failure...
1st ~ American cup measurement is different from Australian2nd ~ I didn't knead long enough as I was afraid that I might overmix the rye... hence did not pass the window pane test.3rd~ I should have halved the recipe to fit into my standard size sandwich loaf pan...
Based on my assumptions ~ above... I halved the recipe, set my digital scale to 'ounce or oz' too lazy to convert to metric, and knead the dough until both passed the windowpane test..
And voila... marvellous loaf of bread...
Oh... one more thing before we proceed to the recipe...
Noticed the watermark on the photos? My million... trillion and gazillion thanks to my lovely daughter, Miss E... for the brilliant artwork and being ... so... patient with my 'forever change of mind'... love you, babe..
Happy Mothers' Day to everyone...
3 oz white rye flour6.8 oz unbleached bread flour0.19 oz salt0.1 oz instant yeast0.1 oz caraway seeds0.38 oz molasses0.5 oz shortening5.5 oz + 2 tablespoon of water at room temperature
3 oz white rye flour6.8 oz unbleached bread flour0.19 oz salt0.1 oz instant yeast0.1 oz caraway seeds0.38 oz molasses0.5 oz shortening5.5 oz + 2 tablespoon of water at room temperature0.5 oz cocoa powder
Eggwash ~1 egg plus 1 teaspoon of water, whisked until frothy
Step 1~ Light Rye
- Stir well flours, salt,yeast,caraway seeds and molasses in a bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add shortening and 5.5 oz of water.
- Attached dough hook and turn the dial to medium.
- Knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is soft, supple and pliable.
- Lightly oil the dough and transfer to another bowl.
- Cover with cling film and set aside.
Step 2~ Dark Rye
- Similar to the above... but remember to add on the cocoa powder.
Step 3~ Next stage
- Ferment both doughs (separately) at room temperature until both doubled in size.
- Turn each dough on lightly floured surface and flatten into a rectangular shape.
- Lay both dough on top of each other and roll.
- Place the dough in an oiled sandwich loaf pan.
- Set aside to proof again for another 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Brush the top gently with egg wash.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remember to rotate the pan half way through baking for even baking.
- Remove from pan immediately and leave it to cool on the cooling rack for at least 1 hour before serving.