|will not showcase any close-up of my 'icing'ed velvet... embarassing!!!|
Recipe (adapted from Donna Hay)
125g butter at room temperature165g castor sugar1 teaspoon vanilla extract2 eggs185g plain flour - sifted1 teaspoon baking powder-sifted25g cocoa powder-sifted125ml buttermilk - at room temperature2 tablespoon red colouring
125g butter at room temperature160g icing sugar - sifted1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
220g castor sugar3 eggwhites60ml water1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven 160C.
- Cream butter with sugar and vanilla extract until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and continue mixing...
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder buttermilk and food colouring, and beat until just combine.
- Pour into lightly baking tin or heart-shape muffin silicon tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool it on a wire rack.
|Left: Split the cakes into 2 and spread with vanilla icing; Right: Vanilla Icing and Meringue Icing|
Mix sugar, water and cream of tartar in a small pot. Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, using electric beater, beat the eggwhites until soft peak form. While motor is running gently pour in the sugar mix... continue beating until thick and glossy.
Assemble: Slice the mini cake horizontally, and spread the bottom layer vanilla icing, and top with the other half. Spread the outside with meringue Icing... which I failed miserably....
Have a wonderful Valentine's Day...